Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Adobe Dynamic link is broken

So I am using Adobe’s dynamic link to replace shots in my Premier Pro timeline with After Effects compositions. I do all my effects in AE and when I hit save it updates the changes into Premier. 

The problem I am having is that as I get to the end of my timeline the AE shots in the beginning of my timeline go offline. This would be no more than a miner nuisance if I could right click in the project bin and click link media. But premier won’t let me click this. It’s grayed out. Ok so I will just nuke the timelines and reimport them. Well this is working for two of my four AE projects. One of them will import but the video clip premier copied over to AE is offline. Great, so I open the AE timeline and yes my video clip is offline, and none of my work is there. I had roto, and another comp in there as a matt painting. What the heck After Effects? 

Then things get even weirder. The last file I try to import will only let me select a comp from one of the other projects. Let me back up and make this a little clearer. When you import an AE comp into Premier it brings up an import window and lets you choose which of your compositions inside of AE you want. In this case I have two. The one I want is the final one with all of the elements. The other is just the layers of the matt painting. If I try and select my fifth comp, Premier is opening the sixth. I tried restarting Premier. Nope. Finally I tried changing the name of the comp and it worked. This is frustrating because it makes it hard to keep track of files. Why can’t Adobe make this work? Then again Dynamic link is still young, and already it lets me do amazing things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment